How can we improve eBible?

Flip pages or scroll down to read for iPhone/iPad

Be able to flip between pages or to scroll down the complete text.

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mario Esteban MoralesMario Esteban Morales shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Colin WongAdminColin Wong (CEO, eBible) responded  · 

1. Multiple verse highlighting
    With screen pagination this is rather difficult. Though if you access John 1.1 – 18 on an iPad or on our website (ebible.com) its doable.

2. We’ll get this fixed.

4. We’ll find a better way to address this.

5. We’ll get this fixed as well.

6. Folders and subfolders
    The notes are actually tied to the verses. On our website you can actually search your notes. This feature will be coming to the mobile apps as well.

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Craig ForresterCraig Forrester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> "The difficulty is we allow highlighting on a word level."

I forgot about that (nice feature, by the way). Maybe a pop-up button to continue the highlight on the next page? It would be nice if it auto-flipped for you, but then you run into issues of what the threshold is for the page-turning -- does it flip immediately (annoying if you just want to highlight to the end of the page) or flip after a second or so (annoying to wait)?

You guys are doing excellent work. Keep it up.

• Colin WongAdminColin Wong (CEO, eBible) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Craig. We thought about that. The difficulty is we allow highlighting on a word level. You can select individual words as oppose to the whole verse. The issue then becomes that the behavior of highlighting becomes less intuitive if we do tap-to-toggle because now you're not sure when the first behavior will occur, and when the second behavior will occur. It's not perfect but we're definitely listening to users such as yourself on how we can further improve the system.

• Craig ForresterCraig Forrester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One way around the difficulty with pagination is to allow for tapping-to-toggle -- taping a verse selects it, tapping multiple verses adds to the selection, which can then be commented on or highlighted. The other option is "select first, then select last" verse to be highlighted/annotated, but I think toggling is more intuitive.

• Colin WongAdminColin Wong (CEO, eBible) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Mario. Note search on the app is coming soon. Sorry about that. On the online version, go to the "see all notes" page at http://ebible.com/journals

From there, you can do a search. I just tried and it seems the engine currently ignores # tags. But if you try it with say "_faith", then this unique keyword should get you all the notes that have that keyword.

Original suggestion below but now broken down to various tickets.

-- original description --

This is my favorite app.

1. Multiple verse highlighting.
        Currently you can only collectivly highlight the verses shown on any given page. It would be nice if you could highlight for instance John 1.1-18. Maybe a scrolling text option would fix this.

2. Currently if you highlight more than one verse, like John 1.1-3, in the notes section under highlights it is titled only as John 1.1 and not John 1.1-3. Same applies for notes.
        4. The posted note icons are nice but if you have many notes it's more complicated trying to figure out which posted note is for which reference. You have to cycle through them while reading to find the one you are looking for.
        5. I also noticed that of you have many notes on one page after awhile the icons stop showing up because there is no more room for
        Posted note icons. So you could keep adding note after note but there will not be any indicator of that note on the page.
        6. Also a folder and subfolder option for notes and highlights would complete my dream of a perfect bible :)

This as of right now beats my olive tree reader and reformation study bible apps. I have money and many many notes, highlights and bookmarks invested in both of those apps and would drop them in a heartbeat. You guys are rocking it already with ebible v 1.1!!!! Thank you!!!

We'll definitely look into this as an option. As for tagging, you can just put whatever tage you want i.e. #faith into the note, and when you do a notes search, it will show everything with that tag. Will this work?

• Mario Esteban MoralesMario Esteban Morales commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Screen Pagination. I don't know much about programming but I know that in other bible apps I have you can either have a scrolling text (up/down) which allows me to highlight multiple verses or I can have my pages swipe (from right/left) which do not allow me to highlight multiple verses. I love the screen pagination look of it.

I've also in the past was able to highlight everything with an option that eliminates paragraphing and just has continuous text (still with the title breaks throughout the bible like "the word became flesh" for John 1. This brought text together without gaps and with shrinking the text to its smallest size I was able to accomplish the task of highlighting multiple verses. Also a wider margin option in addition to "no paragraphing" option and smaller text size.

6. How about being able to add a "tag" to notes or verses if you can't folder and sub folder them? I would just like to be able to search for all my verses I have found and notes I have made that have to do for instance with the deity of Christ or Baptism or predestination, etc..

Feedback and Knowledge Base